Sodium percarbonate, or oxygen bleach, is a great laundry booster and safe to use with colours. It's also highly effective at killing bacteria, fungus, viruses and algae, and makes a fantastic environmentally friendly, odour-free, multipurpose non-toxic stain remover.
BEFORE USE: Colour test on coloured fabrics/surfaces first when you're using above the recommended strength. Don’t let it come into contact with mild steel or with lacquered/varnished/silk surfaces.
Use as a laundry pre-soak, or simply add to the normal wash, but for stubborn stains: mix the powder with a little water to make a paste. Carbonated water if you have it will add an extra lift as the bubbles will rise to the surface after sinking in, helping to lift the ingrained dirt with them. Most of the blended, commercial tubs of sodium percarbonate will make a bumpy blend. That's ok.
- For clothing etc, spread the paste over the stain and leave for 30 minutes then, without rising, pop into the washing machine & launder as usual.
- For carpets and upholstery, after colour testing, spread paste over stain and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse with water.
- Use the same paste for stains on hard surfaces (excluding the above). It's brilliant on white plastic surfaces, like garden chairs, shower surrounds and loo seats that have yellowed. Apply to stain and leave for 30 minutes, rinse.
- It's unbeatable as an environmentally-friendly (for the planet and your home) loo cleaner: the abrasiveness of the powder, the fact that it kills 99.99% of bacteria and simply the whole whiteness of it..
- Oxygen bleach makes a fantastic non-toxic cleaner for outdoor wooden decking areas. When bought in bulk it goes under its chemical name, sodium percarbonate. Order pure sodium percarbonate online at Mistralie, see below. It's great on mildew. Use it to clean & deodorise tents, camping equipment, deckchairs, garden toys etc.
For more uses of oxygen bleach around the home and garden, dilution recommendations, and to purchase pure sodium percarbonate in bulk, go to the Mistralie website.